Today’s water distribution facilities have SCADA systems operated by smart engineers, but information about utilization, leaks and efficiency are difficult to assess. And even the most experienced engineer will have difficulty determining the impact of network modifications caused by failures of single tanks, pipes and pumps. Moreover, this engineer needs to leave work each day knowing that his network is being managed in the best way possible, even if some part of his network is undergoing maintenance. Finally, water quality and payment structures based on usage are becoming more of an issue for both experts and local governments.
RTC4Water has developed an intelligent automation and prediction software application that goes beyond quality driven control and system modelling. Our tool provides independent, proactive network management and automatically adapts to network changes or emergencies – a “hands off” software tool that requires no special training or IT resources. We have seen that this approach not only reduces long-term operational costs and extends plant life, but more importantly releases your staff to focus on more critical tasks.
How it works:
RTC4Water has developed a software tool called the Global Predictive Controller™ – or GPC for short. Once your network has been analyzed and modeled, we create a GPC tool specifically for your network. The software runs locally at your site and you have full control over its use. This application runs independently 24 hours a day / 7 days a week and continuously analyzes your network. It uses special algorithms and mathematical optimization to predict future consumption requirements and adapts automatically to any changes it detects. The GPC is designed to determine the most efficient use of your existing infrastructure and then provide your SCADA systems with directions to maintain this level of performance. Software updates and maintenance can be performed remotely if required.
How do we work with our clients:
1. The first step it to understand our client’s specific needs and goals. We then develop a step-by-step project proposal where the client can clearly determine the project’s deliverables and be able to assess progress.
2. Next, we model your network using software tools that have been tested and validated by both academic and industry professionals. This model provides the foundation for the development of the GPC software tool.
3. We then develop a control strategy based on your needs and goals. Optimization algorithms are applied and a testing environment is developed to validate and optimize the GPC’s operating parameters.
4. Then, in three careful stages, we install the GPC on your system and insure that it works properly. Training can be provided but most of our clients find that this is not needed.
5. Finally, we monitor the software remotely for 6 months to iron out any unwanted behavior. Our experience has shown that some staff may need some time to learn to trust our system and that some small changes to the control strategy may be necessary.
For more information on actual installations and the cost benefits for your clients, please go to our Customer section.
If you would like to contact us to obtain more technical information, please click here.